Happy St Piran’s Day folks! (…and happy engagement day Mrs R.)
I’ve posted before about pasty withdrawal, and even carrots! But, no more nonsense, I’m a Cornishman and I was brought up on these things, here’s a recipe:
Six Homemade Pasties – ingredients
- ~500g*, (6 x~80g) cubed beef
- pastry; OK, we could make it, but two packs of shortcrust ready-made pastry’s easier. (A 500g block makes three)
- 3-4 potatoes*
- 2-3 onions*
- 1 swede* (which the Cornish call turnips)
- pepper and salt
How to make ‘um:
I have found a 500g block of pastry will do three medium pasties. Cut a block into three, screw the slice up, and roll it out to a circle. Then put on:
- A handful of diced potato,
- A handful of chopped onion,
- A handful of diced swede,
- A handful of cubed beef (1cm sqs) ~80g,
- Shake a pinch of salt,
- Shake a good dash of pepper – a good pasty needs pepper!
- Egg-wash around the edge.
Fold the top edge forward to the bottom edge and crimp.
Make the other one. One is never enough!
In a greased baking tin, egg-wash (or milk, or egg & milk) the top of thre pasties.
Cook on high 200° for an hour.
If it’s burning (cover with tinfoil).
Again, happy St. Piran’s Day! There’s more pasty stuff here: ‘pasty‘