Julian Richards Curriculum Vitae
I am an enthusiastic, organised, conscientious person. I am keen to utilise proven dedication, creativity and communication skills. In my work, I’ve successfully combined practicalities with creativity showing that I am capable of problem-solving and working to achieve goals within deadlines. I enjoy working using my own initiative or as part of a team. In short, I am dependable, honest, hardworking and always eager to discover, improve and achieve.
A few notable achievements: please see my testimonials
- Designed, managed, and delivered many sponsored promotional bookmark campaigns for libraries, schools, and advertisers throughout the UK. See testimonials.
- Created, developed, and maintained all content at the Bookmark People blog; bookmarkpeople.wordpress.com and associated social-media presence.
- Developed great relationship with many public library figures throughout the UK. I’m passionate about working with clients to develop effective material; to supply what’s needed to achieve goals.
- Personally taken a variety of photographs and tailored various imagery that has been featured on bookmarks and marketing material.
- Facilitate a busy Secondary School Reprographics Department serving 100+ staff and ~1000 students. Supporting Teaching and learning, through the timely provision of an array of printed resources.
2016 – present… Fullhurst Community College
I facilitate a busy Reprographics Department serving 100+ staff and 1000+ students. Supporting Teaching and learning, through the timely provision of an array of printed resources.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- organise and prioritise the design, artwork, and printing of documents, booklets, posters, display, and educational tools etc.
- create, print, bind and laminate material using a variety of word processing and desktop publishing packages.
- manage production workflows to enable accurate and timely provision of printed educational resources.
- assist internal and external customers on effective and efficient methods of print design and production.
- manage print resources and maintain stock levels within the department and across the site.
2000 – 2016: Central Community Press Ltd. ‘Bookmark People’
Graphic Artist, Design Studio & Production Manager. I was part of a small team who developed an advertising platform within UK public libraries and schools.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- develop, design and manage the creation, production, and distribution of sponsored promotional bookmark campaigns for libraries, schools and advertisers throughout the UK.
- discussing the requirements of sponsored bookmark campaigns with clients and distributors.
- quoting and providing costs and distribution data for campaigns.
- creating and supplying initial creative drafts and visuals of campaigns.
- designing and artworking campaign artwork for print – working to budgets and deadlines.
- conduct marketing and publicity initiatives for the service, as well as the personal
creative support for sales agents, with a view to promoting the product’s value and appeal.
- liaise daily with distributors, agents and advertising sponsors.
- develop and maintain systems to manage office and production workflow.
1996 – 2000: Community Media: Graphic Artist / Designer and Production Coordinator.
1995 – 1996: Prontaprint, Crewe. Graphic Artist / Designer and Production Assistant.
1988 – 1992: Spectrum Design & Print Ltd. St.Ives. Graphic Artist / Designer.
1987 – 1988: H.Tempest, Educational Photographers, St.Ives. Laboratory Assistant.
Manchester Metropolitan University. Crewe & Alsager Faculty 1992-95
DipHE and BA(hons) ‘Creative Arts’ 2/1 – Integrated Art, Visual Arts, Performance.
Camborne Comprehensive School & Sixth form 1980-87
A’ level: Technical Graphics C, Computer Studies B
O’ level: Geography, Maths, Computer Studies, English, Technical Drawing, Graphics, Physics.
- Valuable telephone skills, email, e-marketing & social media communications.
- Microsoft Office: Word, Powerpoint, Access, Publisher, Outlook etc.
- Apple OSX, Adobe Illustrator and InDesign: working knowledge.
- CorelDraw Graphics Suite X3: intensive daily use creating artwork for print and web.
- Adobe Photoshop: regular photo retouch and manipulation for print and web.
- Macromedia Dreamweaver 2004: website development and upkeep.
- Various utility software for task management and communication.
2.1 BA hons Degree in Creative Arts: 1992 – 1995
In the 1990s I gained a Bachelor of Arts (hons) Degree in Creative Arts (2.1) at Manchester Metropolitan University. I studied both Live-Integrated Performance Art and Visual Art – The theory and practice behind ‘Art’ in its many facets. This focused on the psychology of perception and experience, and the philosophical issues surrounding the ‘art object’.
Creative Arts Degree – Personal areas of interest;
- Communication; reader & writer, authorship, reading and interpretation.
- Text, subject, culture; the individual in an environment, text in texture in textile.
- Psychology of perception; experience, individuality, learning, mental activities/processes.
- Ideological construction; language, culture, being, self.
- Representation; language & semiotics, objectivity, subjectivity and experience
- Audience-performer-space relationships; elemental breakdown and analysis.
- Theatrical performance – devised performance and direction.
- Image, Assumption, Motive – I.A.M.; A personal study of perceptual activities.
- Graphics; colour, symbols and graphic mark-making
I am married with two children. I am a Cornishman. I hold a current Driving Licence.
I believe that it’s only in working together effectively, that we truly achieve results.
As an apprentice, I learnt to ‘never assume’ and to ‘measure twice, cut once’.
I believe listening and hearing can achieve more than speaking…
“The interaction between things is what makes them fecund” Wallace Stevens (Realism – Damian Grant)
“Where your treasure is, there is your heart also” Gospel of Matthew – The Bible
I am dependable, honest, hardworking and always eager to discover, improve and achieve.
References and last employer – available on request
Testimonials – read some comments about Jules’ work here.
You can download a copy of this CV here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q1wtadw9i58m3rk/0sgQLtj5zZ
And download some portfolio material here: https://julesprichards.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/julesprichards-portfolio0216.pdf